Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Election

Personally, I am not much of a politician and I don't know much about politics, but I'll try to give a good view of what I think. There are three major candidates left(actually I think they are the only ones left) : Barack Obama, Hilary Clinton, and John McCain.

The first Democratic candidate is Barack Obama. He is running against Hilary Clinton for being in an extremely tight race. Ever since announcing his running for president in February 2007, his three main points have been ending the war in Iraq, energy independence, and universal health care. Hilary and Obama have been neck and neck from the begining, but lately people are saying that Obama is pulling ahead of Clinton. But after Hilary won the Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island primaries and Tuesday, and Obama only won Vermont, people are saying that the democratic presidential candidate is probably going to be decided by the super delegates. Although nothing is said and done, Obama is said to have the upper hand in this election.

Hilary Clinton is the second democratic candidate in the election. It was susspected that she would run in the next election as early as 2002, but she didn't announce her running until around April 2007 over her website. Her three main points have been the removal of troops in Iraq, the Clinton health care plan, and energy conservation. Obama had pulled ahead in the election after winning 12 state primaries and caucusses in a row. Clinton has started to get back on her feet after winning the Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island primaries on Tuesday. It is an extremely close race that will probably come down to the super delegates.

John McCain is the last Republican candidate left in the race, making him the only choice for the republican presidential election. Whereas both democrats want to remove the troops from Iraq as quickly as possible, McCain wants to keep the troops there until the Iraqi armed forces and police have been sufficiently trained. Some of his other main focuses are his energy conservation plan, tax cut plan, and several others.

As you probably already know, their is a new twist to this election; A woman and an african american are running for president. One thing that all three candidates support is the conservation of carbon dioxide emission. All three want to cut back on carbon emissions and make more energy efficient machines, such as new, more environmental cars. Just as in most cases, both democrats want to remove the troops from Iraq, while the republican wants keep the troops there longer. These are some of the issues that our going to decide the 2008 presidential election.

After debating the issues, I have decided that if I were to vote, I woul dprobably vote for McCain. First of all, I think it is necessary to keep our troops in Iraq because it needs someone to help it up and keep it moving in the right direction. We need to be the "Dad" to Iraq and teach it to stand up on its own again. What if Iraq was to go into turmoil and turn back to its dictators and other tyrannical leaders if we were to pull our troops out of Iraq. Then all of the men and women' lives that died to help that nation will have been in vane. Another main reason I would probably vote for McCain(and republican in general) is because I am pro life. No matter what any doctor or scientist or anyone for that matter says about how abortion isn't really killing someone, it is murder. It would be like me going up to you and shooting you in the head just because I had the power to. wheu... That is finally over. Please comment on my post and leave your thoughts. Thank you:]

5 comments:

BVoight said...

you mentioned a lot of similarities between the three candidates. In fact, it sounded like the two democrats have the same three main ideas. So what makes all of these candidates different? Are they different, if they aren't, let's just pick one and get it over with? how do you pick? if they are all the same on the issues, what criteria do you use to choose? Or, while the issues are the same, maybe the process for solving those issues is different? if this is the case, how does each plan to resolve these issues?

subbu said...

Good post. You expressed your views nicely and in an organized way.
However, I don't agree with you at all. What makes us think that we are better than everyone? What gives us the right to go to another country, take it over, and be their daddy? We wasted 2 trillion dollars on this war and that has made us weak. We are in debt and falling into recession.

painted_heart22 said...

ok, david, abortion is killing someone who COULD be a person, not someone whos already living and breathing and thinking. im not saying im completely for it, theres just some situations where it's helpfull. lets say some 12 year old girl gets raped and later finds out shes pregnant, do u really want to have to make that girl deal with going through with a pregnancy? AND for the rest of her life know that some child out there resulted from the evil man who raped her? idk, i just strongly feel that there are times when it could be used and be "right" and that u should let people be able to decide on their own. ur not a women, ur not in that situation, ive never been there so i dont even know some of the things people do it for. no ones making u do it, let them decide on their own.

name said...

you had a great in depth and informational post. along with that, you also gave your opiions. good job!

i am going to make a link to your blog in my post.

Marta said...

I thought that Mandy had a good point about abortion. Women should be able to decide for themselves! As for the Iraq thing, as you might have guessed, we have completly opposite views. We shouldn't have attacked Iraq, but we did, and now we are stuck in a cycle of violence there. How will we know when we have won? There's no goal, just defeating "terror" Basically, I agree with Subbu on this. However, I thought it was a very good post and you really seem to have put alot of thought into this, and I respect that.