Monday, January 28, 2008

Models in Science

For the fifth blogging assignment, I decided to go with the use of models in science over what causes change. Here is the site I used on my post: http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov/educate/scimodule/SSWPrOptPDFs/2HowHotIsIt/ModelsInScience-ST-PO.pdf

This article explains a lot about the different kinds of models and how they are used in terms with science. It talked about how it is helpful to use models to create a picture of things that aren't visible, like the electromagnetic force. I think it is helpful to use models in many parts of life, whether you are a chemical engineer working atoms and subatomic particles or an architect building a house. Models make jobs easier by showing things in an easily understandable way. Also models are helpful for learning about or explaning things. For example, Thomson used the Plum Pudding model to show what he believed was the structure of an atom. I thought one of Luke's points was pretty good, "models help us view objects in more depth." So by using models, we are able to view things that are otherwise hard to visualize more thouroughly. I thought that was a good way of thinking about it. I think that by using models in Science we can learn easier and more in depth about otherwise hard to visualize topics and learn about how they work.

3 comments:

David said...

I just wanted to add something to my original post. Mandy K. said that "there are two types of models. There is the model that is a smaller example of something bigger to come and then there there is the bigger model used because the smaller model isn't big enough." This is a great way to look at models and how to use them. Also, she said that models can be used to find errors in work, such as when they found errors in the new Twins Stadium models. Also, I like what Madelyn said about models. She said that "By using a model you can show someone your plans and exactly how they will work and convince them to back you financially. They can also, as they did for Mr. Rutan, provide publicity for your new invention, which could help business by luring in customers." So far, I have learned that models can be used to help us to make complicated things simpler, find error in work, and be used to help sell a product or invention by showing exactly how it works. I think models can be used to help us in our everyday lives no matter what we are doing.

melissa said...

i also find models very helpful in science, as well as just learning new things in general.
you hit the nail on the head with "...models can be used to help us to make complicated things simpler."

Chelsey said...

i liked how you said, "by using models, we are able to view things that are otherwise hard to visualize more thouroughly." i strongly agree with this statement and i think i wrote something similar to this on my blog.